Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Merry Christmas


December 19, 2012

Merry Christmas!!!

This has been a difficult week to be so far from my children and grandchildren.  There was the horrible tragedy in Connecticut where 20 first graders and their teachers and administration where killed, my grandson Zach had his Christmas concert we missed, one of our PEF participants lost her mother. I wish I could just hug each member of my family and Laumi (the PEF participant).  It is hard to have such tragedy at Christmas time and this is the first Christmas I have not spent with my family ever.  I guess I am a big baby, because I am just so sad.  The only consolation is Faith and Josh will be here soon and I will get to hug them and hold my little faith on my lap.  I did not think I would struggle this much with homesickness, being such a cranky old lady, but boy is it tough.  The only good thing about it is I don't have to go shopping (I will make it up to everyone when I get home)!

I received a message from my niece Kassandra that her sister Christina wanted to talk to me so we called her.  She was thinking about me so asked her Facebook sister to contact me.  It was so nice to visit with her.  I have been sending candy bags to the grandchildren for years and when my sister Karen passed away I decided to add her young grandchildren to the list.  Christina told me that when Halloween passed her girls asked her why they had not received mail from Aunt Joan.  I was touched that they remembered.  Thankfully Christina explained our absence and that we would resume our traditions when we return to the U.S. I loved preparing the packages for our family and mailing them on special holidays.   I never really thought it was a big deal and was so surprised they were missed.  How funny that little gestures are really that important after all.  I loved talking to Christina.  She is a wonderful young lady and a great mom.  I also love to see and follow her sisters and all of our other family and ward family and my students on Facebook.  I don't feel so far away when I can interact with people I love daily.  What a blessing the Internet is for me here on my mission.  When it is down, I am very sad not only because I cannot work, but I cannot check in with those I love. 

The Philippine people celebrate Christmas continually, party after party and fireworks every night.  I don't know how they afford the fireworks when everyone is so poor, but they party hardy during December.  I wonder what New Year will be like. There have been parties and receptions galore at the resort in our neighborhood and the music goes on and on.  The music is not half as bad as the dogs barking though.  Our neighbor's have three dachshund dogs that bark and howl continually throughout the night.  I knew I did not like dogs (grand dogs are and exception)! I don't suppose that a Mormon missionary ought to kill their neighbors dogs. 

Well, I love you all and hope you are well and happy.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment