Wednesday, July 31, 2013

new missionaries

Yesterday we spent the day helping transport the new missionaries from the airport to the mission home.  There were thirty missionaries, twenty of them sisters.  They are so excited to finally be here in the Philippines. Elder Minson, (whose father grew up with Ruth Ann Beardsley) arrived with them and it was wonderful to finally meet him.  I gave him a big hug and took pictures to send to his parents.  They have been our Facebook friend since he received his call.  Because there were so many arrivals, the Rasmussen couple and Dan and I had to split up and drive separate vehicles to get all the missionaries into Bacolod.  The new missionaries spend the day in the Mission Home getting oriented and trained.  The first evening they sleep in a hotel nearby and then meet their new companions in the morning.  So I drove a four door truck with a shell on it to protect the luggage.  The next morning we again picked the missionaries up and take them to the chapel to meet their companions.  Then we also helped take the missionaries to their apartments. 

I have only driven rarely, because of the crazy driving here, and was a bit nervous to drive an unfamiliar vehicle in this crazy traffic law-less city.  I did great! in fact I pulled a couple of totally Philippine driver moves, like using two slow moving jeepneys in the way to turn left!  Dan was impressed with that move!! So was I! I do not know how that happened except I saw the opening and went for it.  No I did not get in a collision either. 

The new missionaries are so special and excited to be here.  Unfortunately, it rained all day, but the new missionaries were inside most of the time and thus did not get wet.  Now today it was sunny so they could travel in good weather.  We are so thankful for the new young missionaries and love them tremendously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment