Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lost wallet


Sept. 17, 2013

Today a woman came by the office selling snacks to help the orphan children to prepare for their Christmas.  I of course told her I would buy some and went to get my wallet out of my purse, only to find that my wallet was not there.  Our memories have gotten so much worse here in the Philippines and I had not memory of even recently using my wallet.  I must tell you that I felt physically sick. My heart was pounding so fast and my stomach knotted up.  I searched through the office only to find my lost thumb drive but no wallet.  Then I went and searched the car.  Dan said not to panic and that it was probably at home.  The young elders and sisters began arriving for their multi zone conference and so my heart was lifted in visiting with them.  We saw the wonderful sisters and elders (including Elder Minson) and shared the snacks I have purchased earlier.  After the missionaries went into their meeting we left immediately to go home and search for my wallet.  I was not really that concerned about the credit card or bank card and I know this is a cash society and most would not even pay any attention to the cards.  I only had P1000 in the wallet so that was not a real concern either.  My concern was I have no identification.  Both my AZ  and Philippine driver's license were gone.  That would mean I could not travel by plane anywhere and I would have no way to guarantee my identity here in a foreign country.

After searching everywhere I sat on the couch in stupor trying desperately to remember where I had used my wallet last and where it could have gone.  I sat in prayer until dinner and Dan asked me to pray.  In tears I pled with our Father to help me find my wallet and to bless my memory so that I would have an idea of where to look for it. After dinner, while I was washing the dishes a thought came to my mind that it could be in the truck we had driven to transport the new missionaries on Wednesday and Thursday of last week.  Wednesday evening when we were returning home from our responsibilities the rain began to fall and by the time we reached home it was raining very hard.  In the dark I rummaged through my purse to get my umbrella so I could unlock the gate and get into the house.  I have a vivid memory of the evening even though ten minutes earlier I could not have even recalled what we had done the day before.  Dan felt immediately at peace, but I of course,  worried most of the night about how we would be able to replace what I had lost her in a foreign country.  I pondered and prayed most of the night and just hoped that the wallet would be in the truck. 

In the morning we got to the office and were unable to get the truck keys because there was no one at the office.  Finally right at nine, the Anderson couple arrived and I went to ask for the keys. Sister Anderson gave me the both set of keys not know which was the right set and I went to look in the truck.  Dan walked up right then and took the keys from my hand.  He opened the truck and in only swift motion produced my wallet.  I was just flooded with tears of gratefulness.  God does hear and answer our prayers.  Several of the young sister missionaries had known of the situation and had prayed for me to be able to find the wallet and through the Lord's tender mercies I was able to not only remember where the wallet could be, but find it in the exact place I thought it would be after my tearful prayer at dinner. 

I have been so sad and lonely of late and needed to know that my Heavenly Father was mindful of me and my needs and that he did indeed know me and was watching over me her in this place far from my home and family.  Oh, how blessed I feel and know that it was indeed an answer to prayer for us to be able to remember and thus find my wallet. 

I do not always share my feelings about the gospel of Jesus Christ, but do not doubt that I know my Father in Heaven loves me.  He hears and answers our prayers.  I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is indeed restored to the earth and that through the prophet Joseph Smith the priesthood was returned to the earth.  I know that we have a living prophet who leads our church, Thomas S. Monson.  I know that the Book of Mormon is true scripture and another testament of our Savior's ministry.  I know that if I am faithful and endure to the end I will have my family with me throughout all eternity.  I know that it was through prayer that my mind was enlightened and my memory made keen.  I know that through the simple pleading for enlightenment and help that my Father in Heaven was indeed able to bless me in my time of need.  I know my Father in Heaven is my father and that my Savior Jesus Christ is my elder brother and they do indeed watch over me and my family while I am away from home.  I am indeed blessed with a wonderful family and look forward to our reunion.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it awesome when we remember the Lord is always there and we just have to remember to look for his hand in the small things?

    ReplyDelete